Answers to the below questions are meant to be informative and not to be construed as legal advice. You may schedule a paid consultation for immigration legal advice specific to your circumstances.



Typically, we would begin with a paid initial consultation, which you can schedule here. You are welcome to first email us at Info@MyersImmigration.com to confirm that we are a good fit for your type of case.

During the consultation, we would identify and develop the potential U.S. immigration strategies and provide a quote which includes our legal fees, government filing fees, and expenses. We typically charge on a flat fee (not hourly) basis and provide a full summary of the anticipated process steps to be as transparent as possible about costs.

We generally require payment of our invoice in full at the beginning of our representation. The retainer payment is kept in an IOLTA trust account until substantially all of our work is completed, which is typically when we deliver drafts for signature, and file shortly thereafter.

  • Step 1: Employer/Petitioner files petition with USCIS in the U.S.
  • Step 2: Employee/Beneficiary obtains visa at U.S. Consulate outside of the U.S.
  • Step 3: Admission into the U.S. by CBP at Airport or Land Border

*Generally. For example, Canadians are generally visa-exempt, and certain visa applications may be submitted directly to the Consulate without USCIS involvement, such as E-1 Treaty Trader and E-2 Treaty Investor visa applications.

  • H-1B Specialty Occupation Professionals
  • Trade NAFTA (TN) Canadian and Mexican Professionals
  • E-3 Specialty Occupation Workers from Australia
  • H-1B1 Specialty Occupation Workers from Singapore and Chile
  • E-1 Treaty Traders, Managers, Executives, Essential Employees
  • E-2 Treaty Investors, Managers, Executives, Essential Employees
  • L-1 Managers, Executives, or Specialized (Propriety) Knowledge Employees of Multinational Enterprises
  • O-1 Alien of Extraordinary Ability may be feasible, especially STEM

Many investors or entrepreneurs start as B-1 Business Visitors reviewing the U.S. market and opportunities for investment or opening a specific business.

Once a plan is in place, preferably in consultation with a immigration attorney to ensure feasible, the “default” temporary investor visa is a “New Office” L-1A Intracompany Transferee visa for Managers or Executives expanding a successful business abroad to the United States. Common difficulties with this visa category are USCIS scrutiny, requiring the business to be significantly established at the time of filing, and the applicant must have worked for at least one year for the business abroad, which will continue operations after the investor/entrepreneur moves to the U.S.

Certain countries have a special treaty with the United States which creates a visa category for their citizens to facilitate substantial trade (E-1 Treaty Traders) or substantial investment (E-2 Treaty Investors). The Principal Traders and Investors can also sponsor Managers, Executives, and Essential Skills employees who share their citizenship.

Si. El abogado Matthew Myers habla español, y su equipo habla español como hablantes nativos de Mexico que ayuda con la traducción de idiomas y diferencias culturales.