Re-Entry Permits for Permanent Residents


Lawful Permanent Residents (LPRs) of the United States generally must maintain their permanent residence in the United States or risk abandonment, or loss, of their permanent resident status. After 6 months living outside of the U.S., LPR status can be presumed abandoned, and over year outside of the United States may result in automatic abandonment of LPR status.

For an anticipated period of time outside of the United States, for a work assignment abroad, retirement, or otherwise, the prudent course of action to maintain a permanent resident green card would be to apply for a re-entry permit with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. The applicant must be in the United States at the time of filing and to attend a biometrics appointment at a USCIS Application Support Center. Re-entry permits can be approved in two-year increments to permit a period of time outside of the United States.

The U.S. permanent resident may also consider their qualifications to apply to naturalize as a U.S. citizen, which would eliminate the requirement to maintain their permanent residence in the United States.

The above is informational and not intended to be legal advice. Please consult with an experienced business immigration attorney on your specific facts and circumstances before proceeding with any U.S. immigration strategy.