P Artists, Athletes, and Entertainers


The P nonimmigrant visa category provides a temporary U.S. immigration status for artists, athletes, and entertainers and their dependents and certain support staff, such as coaches and agents.

Here are the specific P visa classifications:

  1. P-1 for internationally recognized:
    1. P-1A Individual Athletes or Athletic Teams
    2. P-1B Entertainment Groups
  2. P-2 for artists or entertainers under a reciprocal exchange program
  3. P-3 for artists or entertainers under a culturally unique program

The general application procedure starts with a petition with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) for the sports season or tour of performances under the program. A written “no objection” written consultation letter from a relevant labor organization is generally required for these types of visas, in addition to qualifying proof of international recognition of the individual or team athletes, reciprocal exchange, or cultural uniqueness, as applicable.

With the USCIS approval, noncitizens can apply for P visas at a U.S. Consulate abroad with jurisdiction over their residence or citizenship and seek admission with U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) at a Port of Entry to the United States.

The above is informational and not intended to be legal advice. Please consult with an experienced business immigration attorney on your specific facts and circumstances before proceeding with any U.S. immigration strategy.