H-2A Temporary Agricultural Workers


The H-2A Temporary Agricultural Worker nonimmigrant visa program is a vital avenue for addressing temporary labor shortages in the agricultural sector within the United States. Administered by the U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) and Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), this program enables U.S. employers to hire foreign nationals for temporary agricultural work when there is a demonstrated seasonal need.

Key eligibility criteria include proving the temporary nature of the employment, certifying that the hiring won’t adversely impact U.S. workers, and obtaining a temporary labor certification from the DOL. Employers submit Form I-129, Petition for Nonimmigrant Worker, and the required evidence with USCIS to petition for H-2A workers, outlining job details and compliance with the DOL pre-filing procedure. Upon approval of the USCIS petition, international workers can apply at a U.S. Consulate abroad for H-2A visas.

Generally, H-2A workers are permitted to stay for the duration of the approved employment period, with potential extensions to address seasonal demands. Employers must adhere to strict regulations, including providing suitable housing, fair wages, and compliance with labor laws, ensuring the well-being of both H-2A workers and their U.S. counterparts in the agricultural workforce.

It’s essential for employers and workers to stay updated on any policy changes and seek professional guidance for a successful H-2A visa process.

The above is informational and not intended to be legal advice. Please consult with an experienced business immigration attorney on your specific facts and circumstances before proceeding with any U.S. immigration strategy.